Monday, January 29, 2007

Analytical Writing(R&B)


R&B music, which stands for Rhythm and Blues, is an urbanized form of popular music with strong repetitious rhythms. I chose to Analyze R&B because I really enjoy listening to different artists that have real issues to talk about, and are easy to relate to. This type of music isn’t like most raps or reggae but it shares some of the same qualities. Most songs have a fast beat or a dance beat but R&B simply has a soft beat that makes you think, relax, and reflect on things such as how your day went or how certain things have an impact on life.


R &B was started by African Americans but the father of R&B music was Louis Jordan, one of the most influential R&B artists. Louis Jordan was a pioneer of style, combining driving vocals and a live-wire electric quitar and saxophone. He was one of the most popular R&B artists after World War 2. R&B has its roots in Jazz and Blues. The most common instruments you hear when listening to R&B are pianos. Guitars, drums, saxophone, trumpets, violins. Sometimes back in the day they would use harmonicas. Some of the instruments used in R&B music are used in Reggae music as well but however they produce different sounds. The instruments mainly depend on the artist and the way the song is flowing.

R&B in a sense is different from rap music because it’s not talking about how your living or making your money, the street life, gangs, or violence. The main focus is love, pain and wanting to make a difference in life. If you listen closely to the lyrics in an R&B song you’ll find that it’s mainly talking about the love the artist have for the person or wanting to change something around them or something in their life. Most R&B songs have a positive vibe, and are easy to listen to and catch on to, especially if you’re feeling down or feeling like doing something over the edge, I feel that everyone can relate to at least one R&B song.

My Favorite artist is Keshia White. She sings a song called "Weakness in Me", in this song she talks about not being strong enough to stand up for herself. In certain situation I feel that way because when your going through certain things its easy to get pushed around if your under pressure. In her song you get the impression that she is in love and that she’s having a hard time dealing with it she states in one of her verses "why do you come here when you know I got troubles enough, why do you call me when you know I cant answer the phone, make me lie when I don’t want to, and makes someone else some kind of unknowing fool make me stay when I should not are you so strong or it’s the weakness in me". I feel like this sometimes when I’m arguing with my boyfriend and I really need time away.

There are many artists that open my ears, such as Alicia Keys. In most of her songs she sings about love, about how she came from nothing, or not having someone to being someone that made a difference in someone’s life. In her song "If I Ain't Got You she sings"," Some people want it all But I don't want nothing at all If it ain't you baby If I ain't got you baby (Some people) want diamond rings Some just want everything But it means nothing, nothing If I ain't got you" I really like this song because that’s how I feel about my boyfriend even when we are upset with each other.

So as I broke down different parts of R&B from the song to the instruments to the artist, I feel I have convinced readers that R&B has great music and I think everyone should listen and at least give it a try. I think R&B music disappeared the world would be different in a sense because we would have way more violence than now. R&B is a relaxation period, give people a chance to think things over.

No comments: